Skip to content
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cut into thin slices
- 3/4 cup cold buttermilk plus 2 tbsp for brushing on top
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, should take about 5 minutes.
- Make a well in the center of butter and flour mixture and pour in 3/4 cup buttermilk, stirring until just combined.
- Turn dough onto a floured work surface, pat together into a rectangle.Fold the rectangle in thirds and turn halfway and repeat. Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/2 inch thick.
Cut out 12 biscuits with a standard round biscuit/cookie cutter and transfer to a sheet pan that has been sprayed with cooking oil. Brush the top of each with the extra buttermilk.
- Bake in oven for 13-15 minutes. Enjoy!