French Macarons are my all time favorite dessert! They may take a couple times to perfect if this is your first time making them, but it is worth every second!
They can be filled with many different types of fillings, but I prefer raspberry filling (recipe below).
- 3 Egg Whites (at room temperature)
- ¼ cup Sugar
- ¼ teaspoon Cream of Tartar
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- Food Coloring (pink or 1/2 drops red)
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 cup Blanched Almond Flour
- Filling Ingredients:
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 TBSP raspberry puree/compote
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 large baking sheets with silicone baking mats.
- Put powdered sugar, almond flour, and salt in a food processor and pulse several times until all of the ingredients are fine and well combined. Pour in large bowl and set aside.
- Place the whisk attachment on mixer, and beat the eggs on medium speed until stiff and glossy, about 4-5 minutes.
- With the mixer running, add the granulated sugar, slowly one tablespoon at a time until the sugar is combined, the peaks are stiff, and the whites are shiny, about 1 minute. Do not over whip! Transfer the meringue to a large bowl.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently fold the dry mixture with the egg whites in 1 cup increments until the dry ingredients are just combined.
- Gently tap the pan on the counter to get any possible air bubbles out of the cookie batter.
- Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until firm to touch in center, about 12-14 minutes.
- Using a mixer, cream butter until smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and raspberry jam. Beat until combined. Place in a piping bag with a small round tip.
- Assemble your cookies by matching cookies with similar size. Pipe a small amount of raspberry filling into the center of one cookie, and sandwich with it’s other half.
- Continue with all cookies.